Real Estate News in Brief

Dated: January 3 2024

Views: 23

Whats's Up in Real Estate?


National news and local views for the week ending

Friday, December 29, 2023


Things are definitely looking up! The steep fall in mortgage rates has helped existing home sales improve for the first time in 5 months, and both homebuilder and Realtor® confidence also moved up.

The National Association of Homebuilder's confidence index rose 3 points in December to 37. We all know why: the recent drop in mortgage rates, which helped buyer traffic improve and boosted builder optimism. The index was at 31 last December. [NAHB]

Housing starts for November jumped 15% MoM to a seasonally adjusted, annualized (SAAR) rate of 1.56 million units, 73% of which were single-family (SFH) homes. While 59% of the units currently under construction are mulit-family units (MF=more than 5 units per property), the MF boom is clearly fading, with MF representing just 30% of new permits in November. [Census Bureau]

Existing homes sales broke a 5-month losing streak in November, rising nearly 1% month-over-month to an annualized rate of 3.82 million units. These sales only partially reflect the big drop in mortgage rates in the last two months, so we can expect even stronger numbers in the months to come. The median sales price in November was $388k, up 4% year-over-year. [NAR]

Redfin's new Home Price Index (which they market as being just like Case-Shiller but more current) saw national home prices rise 0.6% MoM in November, a slowdown from +0.7% in October and +0.8% in September. Keep in mind: 0.6% X 12 months = 7.2% growth if simply annualized. These are still big number [Redfin]

The NAR always releases its Realtors Confidence Index the same day as existing home sales. For November, the most notable change was the increased confidence that buyer and seller activity will increase from here. Competition levels eased somewhat (lower % of homes sold above their listing price and lower % of homes sold in less than a month). That said, the median number of offers per home sold actually edged up to 2.6 from 2.5. [NAR]

More on Existing Home Sales

Around this time last year, we had a big move down in mortgage rates. Between late October 2022 and early February 2023, average 30-year mortgage rates moved down about 1.3% (130bps). That played a major role in the 14% MoM improvement in existing home sales in February 2023.

Well, the decrease in mortgage rates that we've seen this year has been both larger (1.5% = 150bps) and fast (2 months) than last year. Matthew Graham of Mortgage News Daily called it "the biggest drop in a 45 day window that we've ever measured." 

All this suggests that transaction volumes for existing homes have already bottomed, and that December and January will look even better. 

"The latest weakness in existing home sales still reflects the buyer bidding process in most of October when mortgage rates were at a two-decade high before the actual closings in November. A marked turn [upward] can be expected as mortgage rates have plunged in recent weeks." - Lawrence Yun, NAR's Chief Economist.

What he means is that the majority of homes that closed in November went under contract in October, when rates were much higher. (It generally take 1.0-1.5 months for a sale to close.)


Mortgage Market

In the week since the Fed's unofficial pivot towards (possibly maybe) thinking about rate cuts, several Fed members have done their best to curb the market's enthusiasm. But they haven't been successful. After all, if the majority of Fed members expect the funds rate to be 75-100bps lower by the end of 2024, that obviously means they expect rate cuts to get there!

Average 30-year mortgage rates were fairly steady this week at around 6.6%. [Mortgage News Daily] The next Fed meeting will be on January 31, with the Fed futures market implying an 87% probability of no action, and a 13% probability of the first, 25bps cut. [CME]

They Said It

"With mortgage rates down roughly 50 basis points over the past month, builders are reporting an uptick in traffic as some prospective buyers who previously felt priced out of the market are taking a second look. With the nation facing a considerable housing shortage, boosting new home production is the best way to ease the affordability crisis, expand housing inventory and lower inflation." - Alicia Huey, NAHB Chairman

Blog author image

Tamisha Lane

Welcome to my corner of the real estate world! I'm Tamisha (pronounced: Ta-Misha-a), a seasoned Realtor with a unique journey that's as diverse as the properties I help my clients find and sell.Here i....

Latest Blog Posts

Real Estate News in Brief

Whats's Up in Real Estate?National news and local views for the week ending Friday, December 29, 2023Things are definitely looking up! The steep fall in mortgage rates has helped existing home sales

Read More

Building Your Future: What Every Aspiring Homeowner Must Know About Saving in 2024

What You Need To Know About Saving for a Home in 2024If you’re planning to buy a home, knowing what to budget for and how to save may sound intimidating – but it doesn’t have

Read More

Charting Your Homeownership Course: The Triple Keys to Success in 2024

3 Keys To Hitting Your Homeownership Goals in 2024If buying or selling a home is your goal for 2024, it’s important to understand today’s housing market, know your why, and work with

Read More

Selling Your House Soon?

Selling your home is both exciting and a major milestone in your life, so you’ll want to be prepared for what to expect to avoid a stressful process. Having an in-depth look at the seller;

Read More